Applications and refunds are handled by Fiona at the Glastonbury Recycling Team office, whilst the actual shifts you do are organised by Critical Waste. You do NOT need to register for tickets on the main Glastonbury Festival web site - you need to register and apply on this web site. Read the information below to find out how...
How does it work?
- You register on this site.
- You receive notification by email if your initial application is successful.
- You log in to this site and will then be presented with an application form to complete. You will also be required to upload a passport photo of yourself.
- Fiona will send you a confirmation of whether or not your application has been successful - this may take a few weeks.
- You will be required to make a security payment of £250, refundable after the festival if you have completed your shifts. Details of how to pay will be sent to you by email once you have filled in all details on the form. Your application is NOT complete till you have paid, then you will be emailed final confirmation of your place. Remember: all details filled in and payment made = completion.
- You will receive details about your shifts as soon as possible - usually early May.
- In early June you will receive a Letter of Confirmation which you must bring with you. For information on what to bring see Packing List and on how to get here see Travel Info.
- Please note: you will be required to register with Critical Waste onsite and attend an essential briefing before you start your first shift. Any queries re your shifts to Fiona before the festival then to Critical Waste during festival week please.
- NB Tickets will not be posted but you collect your pass at the gate (instructions will be given to you nearer the festival).
- To qualify for reimbursement of the cost of your pass you will need to give a total of 24 hours of your time. For most volunteers this involves working 6 hours a day for 4 days but remember: you must be on-site the day before your shifts start in order to register.
- Refund: Providing you have worked the hours required (each shift duly validated by your team leader), a refund will be sent to you by cheque approx. 3-5 weeks after the festival. Those living in the EU or further afield will be refunded by bank transfer. If you have not received your refund by early August please contact Fiona.
Due to the large numbers in the recycling crew it is not possible for you to choose your shifts. However, on the application form you can select your preferences and we will do our best to accommodate them. We will provide Team Descriptions to help you make your choices.
Facilities for volunteers
- 2 free veggie meals for every day you work
- Access to a crew camping area and hot showers. Bring your own tent!
- Free tea and coffee at all times
- You will be provided with specialist protective gloves, and a cape if wet. However, you must ensure that you wear your own protective clothing (old clothes) and sturdy footwear, not trainers. Steel toe-capped shoes or boots are the ideal footwear and they are essential if you're working on the tractors. We do not provide or recommend litter picks.
- It is a condition of our licence that animals are not allowed on the festival site.
- Crew camping areas are for tents only - caravans, camper vans and cars are not permitted.
- If you are driving to the festival you will need a car pass for parking. These are limited in number so please try to share driving & ensure only one driver requests a pass.
Family and friends
Family and friends who are not part of the Recycling Crew will have to camp in the public camping areas. If you wish to camp with them you are free to do so, but remember you don't want to be too far from where your shifts/meals take place. If you have children they can stay with you in Crew Camping, but you must arrange care whilst you work as you cannot take them with you nor leave them unsupervised. Children up to 12 at time of festival come free but will need proof of age; children aged 13 or over will require a ticket, applied for in the normal way; all will need a passport photo for identification when collecting campsite pass (instructions on supplying these photos will be sent to you later if appropriate).
If you have to withdraw at any time before the festival, please contact Fiona as soon as possible. You will be refunded if appropriate but, once you have been accepted, a £40 deduction will be made for administration costs.
We depend upon volunteers for this vital work over the festival period so please be sure that you are committed to the task before returning your application. Everyone who completes their shifts without any problems will be invited back each time and good workers will always be welcome to join us in the future. If you have a problem on site please contact the Recycling office in Tom's Field where someone will try to help you.
Volunteers become a veteran in their fifth year of working, so many of you will become veterans this year.
The great majority of people complete their work and have a fabulour festival. Some even give part of their refund to one of the charities involved so please let Fiona know if you want to donate any of your refund and HAVE A GREAT TIME!
Do you have further questions? Please telephone Fiona on 01749 899086, write to me at Glastonbury Festival Recycling Crew, Worthy Farm, Pilton, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 4BY or e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address all queries to Fiona unless it concerns information you have received directly from Critical Waste.
Ready to apply?
Click here to register on this web site and apply to become a volunteer for recycling at Glastonbury Festival 2019.